What to use? Vinegar and Nature’s Miracle enzyme treatment (sold in pet stores)
Of all the possible spills to happen to your rugs, pet urine and pet vomit are the worst. Because they go on hot and acidic, they actually re-dye the fibers, and “set” them at the same time. If you are not quick to clean up these will become permanent stains that will devalue your rug. You need to blot the stain, rinse and blot again. If the rug has dyes that show up on the towel in the first blotting step, then substitute a 50/50 Vinegar and water mixture for the Club Soda AND get the area only slightly damp – NOT wet. For pet feces, you must pick up as much as you can before you begin the Club Soda process.
ODORS ASSOCIATED WITH ALL THESE PET MISHAPS
Nature’s Miracle – best thing to use
Natures Miracle helps remove some of the odor causing bacteria if misted on the pet spot areas on the rugs. Try not to over wet the area with, because over-saturating the rug with any product is never a good idea. If you have a large amount of pet urine it has most likely penetrated the wool or silk fiber and has gone down into the cotton foundation. the only chance you have to remove the odor will be to have the rug soaked completely in an enzyme solution. This cannot be done at home. You must call someone that specializes in rug cleaning.
Your best bet for treating all pet stains is cleaning the spot as soon as possible using the steps below:
- DO NOT USE: regular Carpet Spotters, Scrub Brushes, or baking Soda
- use these steps for fresh urine only
- If you have small spots use 50/50 mix white vinegar/cool water
- use a White or light colored cotton rag or towel
- Use a small to medium amount of solution.
- Blot then rinse then blot again
- Is there color on your towel? if yes stop now!
- apply cornstarch or salt to the area and let dry
- If there is no color on your rag?
- Repeat the above steps until stain is gone
- lift area of the spot so that air flows above and below it
- you can use you hair dryer on WARM ONLY
- Use fan on for 24-48 hours to dry cotton in foundation it will feel dry but keep it on anyway…… if you still have a stainapply cornstarch or salt
- is there still an odor? mist again with Natures Miracle, do NOT over saturate.
- Extra large fresh urine spots ( 15lb up)
- use a shop vacuum to extract vacuuming til almost dry- do not scrub
- Apply a 50/50 mix of white vinegar/cool water and follow directions above on small spots
OLD Urine Stains: it is too difficult to coach you through the treatment process as there is high risk of damage to the rug without proper training.